Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Family Food Faves

Prior to having children I always said "I will NOT bribe my children with food!"

Well...I've changed my mind!

I spend a minimum of 15 hours every week reading new recipes, menu planning, grocery shopping and preparing meals for my family that are well-balanced, mostly healthy, and things I think they will enjoy.  There is nothing more frustrating than to hear them say, "I don't like it" (without even trying it), or "My tummy is full" when I know darn well they are hungry!  So, on those ocassions, I don't mind having a few treats on hand (like the cookies below) for bribing purposes!


I am happy to share our new favorite "healthier" Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe with you!  I like to make a double batch of these and freeze them!

Healthier Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2  cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar until smooth.  Mix in the brown sugar, then the egg, applesauce & vanilla.  Stir in the dry ingredients, then the oats & raisins.

Drop the batter by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on the baking sheet and use a fork to gently flatten the dough.  Bake 10-12 min.

No comments: