Thursday, August 21, 2008

Craft Time

Until recently, getting both of my boys to sit for more than just a few minutes, at the same time, was nearly impossible...unless they were watching "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" or "Boz!" Simply trying to get them to sit to color was a hassle. Bryce is usually more patient. He will sit for 10 minutes or so playing with the crayons. He likes to dump them all out then re stack them back into the box or packaging. He likes things in order! Drew on the other hand, is higher-energy and not willing to sit for long at all. He would dump the crayons out all over the floor and eat them. So, coloring would only last a few minutes and then it was on to the next thing.

In the past 2 weeks they have shown more interest in coloring and doing more things with their hands. I thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce some new "crafty" type things. We've been playing with finger paints and play-doh and they LOVE IT!

So, each day we've been having "craft time."

Bryce and Drew love to help me in the kitchen so when I came across this recipe (see below) for homemade play dough, I knew they would enjoy it...and they did! Even though it's made with edible ingredients, I don't let them eat it. It sure smells good though!

Fruity Play Dough

Recipe courtesy of recipezaar.com
1 cup flour
1 package Kool-Aid (any flavor)
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup salt
3/4 cup boiling water (the original recipe called for one cup of boiling water, but it can make the dough to loose. Start with 3/4 cup and then add more if needed)
Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and then add oil. Pour boiling water in and mix thoroughly. Wrap in cellophane or air tight container and store in fridge. Play dough should last a few months.

I must confess, I am not a very creative person and thus are very "craft challenged" as well! I don't want my boys to suffer from my lack of talent, so I'm asking for YOUR help!

Please share your creative ideas that you have done with your kiddos, grandchildren, nieces/nephews, Sunday school class, etc that you think would be age appropriate for my boys (2 1/2 ish!) I would love to hear your ideas and add them to my craft repertoire!

post signature

2 comments:

Www.whughes.blogspot.com said...

thanks for the smile award! i am so behind on blogging. our internet has been down all week, but i will try to keep the smile award going.

happy late anniversary to you and your hubby!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim/Karen,
Found your blog again recently and thought I'd leave you a note.
My wife (Carmen) and I are expecting our 3rd child 2 weeks from today, so things are exciting around here. We have two beautiful little girls and our 3rd is a boy according to the ultrasound.
I talked to Randy a couple weeks ago and we're going to try and get together for dinner some evening.
How're the plans going for getting back to DFW?
My folks are going to be in your neighborhood for my Mom's 50th class reunion in Fayetville(sp?) in about a month or so.
Stay in touch! We'll talk to you all soon.
John Foster
fostertraining@hotmail.com